Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 19 - Burned out

Cue the whistling sound of a bomb dropping to earth and exploding with a loud BOOM! That's me and my exercise routine. I expected WAY too much of myself and I burned myself out. Many of you saw it coming. I think I even saw it coming, but I tried to ignore it. So, now I'm dusting myself off and trying again.


Maintaining the workout schedule I set for myself was unrealistic FOR ME. I haven't worked out in a very long time, and despite the fact that I THINK of myself as a decent athlete (albeit clumsy), I am currently out of shape. So, I have a new "plan" that really isn't much of a plan at all. I'm going to workout 3 days a week for the next couple of weeks. That is my only plan. I know one of the days will be my Yogalates class. Other than that, its a little bit up in the air. I have a treadmill that I plan to get on tomorrow morning. I also just found out about drop-in Zumba classes in my area. I'm going to try my first class on Monday. After that, I'll just feel out what works and go from there.


I originally felt like a failure falling off of the workout wagon. But then a friend (thanks again, Diana) sent me a link to this blog: http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/work-it-out/qa-wednesday-avoiding-workout-burnout/ This girl isn't an expert, but she IS experienced. And she is right. It helped hearing from someone else that burnout happens, but that shouldn't keep you from getting back up and doing it again until it sticks. 


As for dieting, I've actually been doing very well up until this week. Then Tuesday, I came down with a cold. When I am sick, I am miserable and doing math is difficult for my muddled brain, so counting calories throughout the entire day is virtually impossible. Plus, I figure I need all the calories I can get to fight off whatever bug I have. So, I took a break.

 
Today, I'm back on the diet. I must say, while being a little tedious, writing down every single thing I put in my mouth has been helpful. I use the MyFitnessPal app on my iPad. It keeps me accountable - it makes it much hard to just take a bite of some "bad-for-you food". Because if I take that bite, it may only take a second to eat it, but then I have to go to my iPad, look up the item, add it to my tracker and subtract those calories from the rest of my day. Pain in the butt. I highly suggest it to everyone.


I hope this hiccup in my plan doesn't discourage any of you from continuing your resolutions. I may not have met my initial goals, but I will not allow this to derail me from my end goal of losing weight and getting in better shape by June! I can do this! And so can you!!!

1 comment:

  1. oh Heather, you are way too hard on yourself! You are still such encouragement and an inspiration. The fact that you're not perfect (like me) just makes me love you more! I'm so proud of you for getting right back on track after some time off - that in itself is very difficult to do.
    I thought you were going to Wednesday night Zumba?? That's what I was planning on. :)

    ReplyDelete