Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Skiing is a WORKOUT!

Well, here it is Tuesday and I did NOT go to my Team Playmakers group run. But I have a decent excuse...

As I mentioned, my husband and I went skiing on Sunday. I have only been skiing two other times in my life and I have a new respect for anyone who spends a whole day on the slopes.

First of all, getting ready to ski is a HUGE ordeal! I'm sure the more you do it, the less time it takes, but it probably took us about an hour from time we arrived at Mt. Brighton until we actually got to the top of the first hill.

The next challenge was getting from point A to point B once all of the equipment was on. Those boots are horrible! Who knew having the use of your ankles was so important? Walking around without the skis was so uncomfortable. Moving around in the snow with the skis wasn't much easier, so I just shuffled my feet and tried to use my poles to drag myself around as much as possible. Needless to say, it took a long time to get around.

My terrified face before I went down
my first hill of the day.
Then there are the rope pulls. Seriously, those are the absolute worst part of skiing in my opinion. The few memories I have of previous experiences include me wearing cute knit mittens that were utterly useless on the rope pulls and were ruined by the ropes burning through them. This time I bought ski gloves prior to our trip so they worked ok, but I still couldn't avoid the YANK of the rope (and my shoulders) every time I gripped onto it. And the longer the rope pull, the more my legs were shaky and burning by the time I got to the top. It takes a lot of muscle to stay upright and balanced.

Finally, you get to the top of the hill. Going down is the EASY part. Luckily I made it down without falling for the majority of the day. But the one fall I did have was a rough one that involved me hitting my chin on the ground. I also couldn't figure out how to get up from my fall with my skis on, so I had to have my husband help me down the hill.

Monday morning, I awoke to the pain. My calves hurt. My shins hurt. My shoulders hurt. The insides of my elbows hurt. My neck hurt (I think from the fall). I moaned every time I moved. And here it is, Tuesday, and my calves actually feel tighter than they did yesterday.

So, I've decided to wait one more day before attempting to run. Hopefully by tomorrow I won't feel 80 years old anymore. And hopefully I can also try to get over this cold I caught which is completely secondary to all of the muscle pain I have.

Again, you skiers have my respect. Now I'm gonna go take some Advil, some Afrin and go lay down.
Does NOT apply to everyone, but DOES apply to me

No comments:

Post a Comment